KyU LIBRARY RULES & REGULATIONS
Admission to the library and use of the books are conditional upon strict observance of the following regulations and ignorance of these will not be an excuse for non-observance.
|Monday - Friday||8.00 am -||9.00 pm||(Issue Desk-8.00am-8.40pm)|
|Saturday||8.00 am -||6.00 am||(Issue Desk-8.00am-5.40pm)|
|Sunday & Public Holiday||Library closed|
RULES AND REGULATIONS
Membership of the library is open to registered students, staff and authorized non KyU persons.
- Student details will be extracted from Erp to Library system (Koha)
- Staff will produce staff Id and will be registered through the Library system (Koha)
- External applicants shall be granted access to KyU library upon payment of the following daily fees:
- Students Kshs. 50
- Non-students Kshs. 100
- University Librarian reserves the right to demand identification from registered members and may deny access into the library.
- University identification cards must be shown to library staff at the entrance.
- External users shall produce National Identification Cards.
- Users shall observe silence in the library and its environs at all times.
- Unauthorized removal of library property is an offense and appropriate disciplinary action shall be taken against offenders.
- Bags, cases, caps, hats folders etc. shall be left in the designated luggage area of the library at owner's risk.
- Users shall not be allowed to leave their baggage overnight in the library.
- The library shall not take responsibility for loss of personal property or books already signed out to users.
- Users shall be required to show all items in their possession to the security officer before leaving the library.
- Anyone caught marking, defacing or mutilating books or any other library material shall pay for the material from the most current edition of the same.
- Order shall be observed in the library at all times. For example, placing of feet on the furniture, eating and drinking, smoking, sleeping etc. shall not be allowed.
- Use of sound equipment like radios, cell phones etc. is strictly prohibited in the library and its environs.
- Seats in the library shall not be reserved.
- Users shall not be allowed to re-shelf books once retrieved from the shelf.
- No library equipment shall be moved, modified or tampered with.
- Library staff shall reserve the right to inspect bags or other personal property when users enter or leave the library.
- Users who do not follow library rules and regulations shall be asked to leave and may lose membership to the library.
BORROWING OF INFORMATION MATERIALS HELD IN THE LIBRARY
- Borrowing shall be restricted to registered members only.
- Information materials shall not to be taken out of the library unless they are properly issued.
- Users shall be held responsible for any damage or loss of library materials in their possession and shall be required to meet the cost of replacement.
- Users shall ensure that the books they borrow are in good condition to avoid being held responsible for any damages noted while returning the books.
- Lost library books that are recovered, shall be handed to the librarian as they remain the property of the University library.
- Users with overdue book shall be blocked from the library system.
Registered members shall be allowed to keep borrowed items for the period indicated below;
- University Staff: 2 books for one Month
- Post Graduate Students: 2 books for a period of one Month
- Undergraduate/ Diploma: 2 books for a period of one week
Borrowed Library materials not returned after the due-date shall attract penalties as indicated below:
Long loan Kshs 5 per day and Kshs 5 per hour for short loan.
Long loan Kshs 10 per day and Kshs 10 per hour for short loan.
c). Library Luggage tag
Lost Library luggage tag shall be replaced at a cost of Kshs 100
RULES ON THE USE OF ELECTRONIC RESOURCES
- Booking or reserving computers shall not be allowed.
- Engagement on Facebook and other social networking media shall not be allowed.
- Use of internet (including transmission or receiving of any material) in violation of the copyright law is prohibited.
- Users shall not interfere with or disrupt network uses, services, or equipment.
- Internet equipment and software shall be used as installed on respectable workstations of the library.
- Users shall not add, delete or modify installed hardware or software, or change settings.
- Library computers are strictly for learning and research purposes. Anyone found surfing non educational sites (e.g. pornographic sites) shall lose his/her right to use the library.
- The internet is a global electronic network and the KyU library department shall not be responsible for accuracy, validity, legality or usefulness of information available. Users of such Information shall be at liberty to seek guidance on the use of such information.
- Users shall shut down the computers after use.
There is a copyright protection law on most of the library materials (displayed in library reference section). Deliberate infringement on this law e.g. unauthorized copying, is a criminal offence. All users of electronic information resources shall abide by the terms of appropriate licenses. However, permissible copying limits as per Copyright Act may be made for academic purposes. All users of library materials shall observe these limits in the library premises or elsewhere.
All registered members of the library shall clear with the University library at the expiry of their membership.
For More Information, Please contact:
P.O BOX 143-10300, Kerugoya Kenya
TEL: +254 0709 742000